lymphedema in feet

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

lymphedema in feet

Postby appletree215 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:54 pm

For the life of me, I can't get any swelling out of my feet. If I wrap them at night, they look more swollen than if I just leave them alone. They're not hard, just soft and spongy. Any advice?
appletree215

Re: lymphedema in feet

Postby 1phatleg » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:49 pm

My name is alan. I too have lymohedema of the r foot more so then the l. I really hat this stuff. but really you have to wrap at night and AVOID SALT AT ANY COST, it retaines more fluid. What do you do for shoes? I have to wear these combat boots , man do they suck.
1phatleg

Postby ma1290 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:53 am

Feet are tough. I've had best results for controlling swelling in my foot by placing comprex foam on or around my foot before wrapping. Wearing a snug pair of athletic shoes or hiking shoes, if you can fit into them, and going for a walk also gives me good results.
Last edited by ma1290 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ma1290

Postby SueB » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I start with Kinesio Tape. It has the property of skin so it is very flexible and can be worn under socks, hose, etc. It works very well on feet and toes.
SueB

Postby Liatris » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 pm

SueB wrote:I start with Kinesio Tape. It has the property of skin so it is very flexible and can be worn under socks, hose, etc. It works very well on feet and toes.

Hi SueB,

What exactly do you do with the Kinesio Tape ? Could you describe how you tape and does that alone keep the feet down ? I ask this because I cannot wrap with compression bandages even lightly because of pain on the tops and bottoms of my feet and I wonder if this tape (since it is flexible) could work on it's own - even somewhat. It would probably hurt my feet too. But if I could tolerate it, doing something would be better than nothing.

Thanks !

Liatris
Liatris

Postby SueB » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:32 pm

My PT showed me how to use it. There is info on this site that explains it. I use it with a compression stocking. The Kinesio Tape by itself doesn't give you enough compression. I also sometimes wear my Circaid over the tape. I wish I could describe how I cut the tape but it is something you need to see. to know what I am talking about. Maybe your PT is familiar with Kinesio? Athletes at the Olympics wore it on various body parts and it became very popular.
SueB

Postby Liatris » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:56 pm

SueB wrote:My PT showed me how to use it. There is info on this site that explains it. I use it with a compression stocking. The Kinesio Tape by itself doesn't give you enough compression. I also sometimes wear my Circaid over the tape. I wish I could describe how I cut the tape but it is something you need to see. to know what I am talking about. Maybe your PT is familiar with Kinesio? Athletes at the Olympics wore it on various body parts and it became very popular.

Thank you for your reply, Sue. Hmm... I figured it might be too hard to describe. I am wondering what it does when the athletes at the Olympics were using ti on it's own. Or maybe they were bandaging as well ? I think I have seen photos of it being used for LE on it's own - in some cases ? Unless those photos were just illustrating how to use it. I currently do not have a PT but I will look into it further. Thanks, again.
Liatris

Postby baylakates » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:56 am

Greetings. . .a newcomer here! And what a wealth of information and commradere. Nice to have found such a place!

Long story short, have had left foot swelling since just after the birth of my last child. It happened to coincide with an possible orthopedic injury from power walking with weights on my ankles. After the foot bones stopped hurting the swelling didn't go away. That was in 1998 and I was 35 years old. Have lived most of my life for these 10 years in VERY TIGHTLY laced sneakers from early am to late night, only putting on a pair of pumps minutes before an appointment out of the house or sandals for an hour or 2. Always a more swollen foot when I rush home to change back into my tennies!! No pain or other symptoms. I've called it "fat foot syndrome" for all of these years and my primary dr. just didn't really have an answer for me so I stopped asking. A month ago I became quite ill and woke up a day and a half later with red streaks on my leg. . .I was pretty sure it wasn't the flu. Yep - my very first, [and hopefully last!], experience with cellulitus.

Got the diagnosis of primary le tarda, from a vascular surgeon who basically indicated I should not even think about self-pity and be grateful I don't have something worse. OK. So now I'm on a mission to deal with and fight this thing. It's true, my current condition is NOTHING like some of what I've been reading on this wonderful site, but I'd like to keep it in check and perhaps improve it. 30-40 stockings are helping greatly, I'm seeing the bones in my upper foot for the first time in 10 years! What I'm left with is this small puffy area just behind my 2nd and 3rd toes, and those 2 toes are very fat, squared off and "stiff" looking. I might even compare the 2nd toe to an elephant trunk. . .know what I mean? Have seen an MLD therapist who tells me this area behind these toes is called the "Lymph Sea". Received my first mld a couple of days ago. Relaxing, but no noticeable difference. That will perhaps take a few more sessions. I continue to walk most every day.

Sent off for some neuropathic stockings from Juzo and was so excited to get them as they contain a "band" of extra compression in just the area I'm talking about. Unfortunately, they won't work for me. . .my leg is quite short and I wear a 5 1/2 - 6 shoe. Even in the petite size the foot of the stocking is way too big and the calf length extends up into my knee. Before I consider the route of custom sizing, I'm curious about this Kinesio tape. Any further experience or information from any of you would be "swell" !!

Also, I've seen tons of articles about children with lymphedema. . .is there no place that carries off-the-shelf compression stockings for kids???
baylakates

Postby ma1290 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:48 pm

If you're getting "squaring" in the toes you should consider wrapping them (if you aren't already) or getting a toe glove from jobst. They work great. If you don't do anything they'll probably get to the point where the "squaring" is irreversible.
ma1290

Return to Leg Lymphedema