HOT in ATLANTA

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

HOT in ATLANTA

Postby roadmon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:36 pm

It has already gotten so hot here in Atlanta.....it is driving me crazy. The swelling in my leg is already getting worse and I fear for the rest of the summer in this hot town. Any suggestions out there, other than just staying in the house all the time (which sounds just awful to me). I used to play golf all the time (have had this LE in right leg for 2 years now) and it kills me to not be able to play in the summer. HELP!!!!!

Roadmon (Beck)
roadmon

Re: HOT in ATLANTA

Postby patoco » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey Beck :)

LOL...you are not kidding. We set a record over here in Auburn. If my thermometer was correct it was 102'
Athens hit that too.

The only thing I can think of is planning as much activity as you can in the early morning and/or evening. If you can find a clean safe place to swim, that would be ideal.

I used to take the kids to Lake Allatoona (Lanier is a septic tank) all the time in the summer, but several years ago, they warned anyone with a compromised immune system nto to swim there. I was sooooooo disappointed.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Iween » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 am

Hi. I'm new to posting. Lower extremity lymphedema for ten years now but in pretty good control. I am with you! The summer heat seems to make it so much harder.
And then having to wear compression too. Ugh.... But I guess after awhile you just learn to adjust. I use to love summers, but now winter has become my favorite time of year! Hang in there.... you learn to adjust.

Irene
Iween

Postby Cassie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Oof! Summer -- ain't it just "swell"!

I'm in the Arizona desert, where we practically have to hibernate to make it through the five months of summer. When I finished therapy I asked my therapist if there was anything else I needed to do to take care of my lymphedema, and she said, yeah, move to Alaska!

Short of that, I do find that anything that keeps my core temperature down helps with the lymphedema. One thing I use is one of those neckbands that are filled with little capsules that stay moist. I soak it and it absorbs water (without leaking it all over me), and then I wear it around my neck when I'm outside. Have to keep turning it as my neck heats it up, but it does help keep me cooler.

Also, when I wrap I put my bandages and foam in the refrigerator for a few hours beforehand. They don't stay cool very long, but they sure feel great when I'm wrapping!

Same thing with my foam-stuffed night garments. I store them in a plastic bag in the frig during the day. The foam actually does hold the cool for a couple of hours -- long enough to get to sleep. (Gotta keep them away from the onions, though!)

Parking in the shade, using windshield covers and leaving the car windows cracked open a bit helps make getting back in the car a little bit easier when we're out and about. And we plan our shopping in early morning or evening when it's not only cooler but the shadows are longer, providing more shaded parking spaces in most parking lots.

Like the desert critters, we get up much earlier in the summer, to take advantage of the cooler hours. And we up our fluid intake to help our bodies cope.

But all in all, like you, I've learned to love the winter!
Stay cool! 8)
Cassie
Cassie
Senior Moderator

Return to Leg Lymphedema