discolored wound blemishes?

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

discolored wound blemishes?

Postby cherie22001 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Hello again
Can anyone tell me if the discoloration from the healed wounds ever disappear? One nurse told me that it will stay forever and it sure looks like it will but do they get lighter? Thanks for any replies...cherie
cherie22001

Re: discolored wound blemishes?

Postby tkincheloe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi Cherie,

Sorry it has taken so long to get a reply to your question.

It would have been helpful if you could have given a more detailed description of your healed wound -- size, depth, color, etc. But not having that, I will try to answer in a broader means and hope it helps.

Discoloration in wounds is generally caused by dead cells that accumulate within the wound bed as well as by accumulated skin pigmentation. If the wound is minor and not deep, there is a possibility the discoloration will lighten and even disappear over time, leaving nothing more than a slight indentation in the skin where the wound used to be. If the wound is deep and covered with a thick layer of scar tissue the discoloration may be permanent, much like the red discoloration of a scar left by a surgical incision. The dead cells, especially blood cells, become entrapped inside the scar tissue. Our bodies constantly shed layers of dead skin tissue. Scar tissues do not shed hence the permanent discoloration.

There are many over the counter cosmetics available to help hide the discoloration. You can consult with one of any cosmetician at major department stores to help you pick the cosmetic that will work best in your situation. Or you can consult with a dermatologist. What I would NOT recommend is cosmetic surgery as this can result in more problems than it fixes.

I know it isn't much to go on, but it is hard to give a more defined answer without seeing the scars.

Tom Kincheloe, OTRL, CLT
LEP Moderator and Certified Lymphedema Therapist
tkincheloe

Postby cherie22001 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Thank you for your reply Tom. My wound took awhile to heal and now there is a pinkish blemish. I just put cream on it to keep soft and hope it will go away. I really appreciate your reply. Cherie
cherie22001

Postby tkincheloe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:23 am

You're welcome. :wink:
tkincheloe

Return to Leg Lymphedema