Lymphedema massage time. Help please

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Lymphedema massage time. Help please

Postby cleo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:31 am

Uterine cancer = L leg lymphd. Massaging twice daily, 30 mins each session. Leg measurements stable since Feb [never thought I'd be pleasd to see wrinkly legs!!!] Interested if others have success with less massage times as shoulders/fingers achey over past month.
cleo

Re: Lymphedema massage time. Help please

Postby Cassie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi, Cleo,

I sure hear you on this! I have bilateral arm lymphedema, so the process of doing both sides (each with an arm affected by lymphedema :? ) can be pretty exhausting. Short-cutting doesn't work well for me, but I have had to work out a few ways around the tired hands and arms. For one, I try to allow a lot of extra time and put myself in the mood for "slow-and-easy" instead of "get-it-over-with"! Some people like to play their favorite music, but I love the quiet, so that's what I try to look forward to. Then I do my massages in sections, stopping to rest after every few steps, or whenever my hand or arm starts to feel strained. While I'm resting I do a few stretches and take some more deep breaths, just to help things along.

I also find it helps if, throughout the day, I do the node-clearing and deep breathing parts whenever I think of it (and there's nobody around!) And I always wash myself, dry myself, and apply lotion in the direction and order (and with the gentleness!) of my lymphedema massage. I think these little "in-between" things help too.

Hope that helps some! It's a lot of self-care, but it sure does pay off, so I guess we're lucky about that. Nice to know I can do the things I need to to keep my life in control. :)

Hope you're managing to stay cool and still enjoy the summer season!
Cassie
Cassie
Senior Moderator

Postby cleo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Many thanks for your response Cassie, and you gave me the wake up call that I needed. Looked at what I was doing and, although I was still taking the 30 mins - massage technique had speeded up appreciably and I was not relaxed. I also enjoy total quiet and, having changed to 'slow and relaxed' and taking time to do some easing exercises along the way, I am now losing the aches and feel much happier about the whole exercise. Have also taken on board the other help hints that you gave me, great!

No support/chat links close so really appreciate your site, also appreciate how fortunate I am to be able to manage and have relatively mild lymph and do not want to prejudice that.

Live in beautiful winterless north of NZ so nicely cool right now!

Cleo
cleo

Postby livyann » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:45 am

Hi I have a question. When you say you massage legs twice daily, do you then wrap or not? Once a day is difficult, twice would be very hard. Thanks
livyann

Postby cleo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:25 am

Sorry livyann, have not been on the site for a while so missed your question. Just have to massage the one leg and yes it's a nusiance to be honest but when I figured I could relax the routine I regretted it. I do not wrap the leg. Wear a stocking during the day and massage last thing at night. Tried wearing a stocking at night but too uncomfortable -but it also gives me the incentive to massage first thing in the morning.
cleo

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:10 am

Hi Livyann :)

Unfortunately :cry: , you really still need to rewrap after the self massage. I understand about how difficult it is (not to mention can be totally frustrating.

One thing you might consider doing is trying Farrow Wraps to see if they might be easier to manage:

http://farrowmedical.com/

Here's our page on it:

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... arrow_wrap

Congrats on such a committment too - doing self massage twice daily.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema