problems after swimming

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

problems after swimming

Postby lrcuregirl » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi. My husband suffers from leg lymphedema (I've posted about his situation before) and recently went swimming in his cousin's outdoor inground pool. After getting out and sitting for about 20 minutes, his legs were noticably swollen and appeared as if they were going to start "cracking" again. This was yesterday evening. We wrapped his legs and today they are back to the way they were before he went swimming. Normally, he keeps them wrapped with either farrow wraps or compression socks all the time (except for showering, of course) and this seems to keep the swelling under control. Now, he's afraid to go swimming again as he doesn't want the swelling to increase and especially doesn't want the weeping to resume (it lasted over 3 months before we were able to get it to stop and the legs to begin healing). Anyway, is this a usual occurrence or should we be worried? Should he avoid swimming altogether?
lrcuregirl

Re: problems after swimming

Postby Kim » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 am

Hello Ircuregirl,

A few things to keep in mind when swimming... You might already know these things, but just in case...

The water temp needs to be on the cool side, rather than warm...at least for me. I love swimming, but when the water temp gets above 83, I start swelling. For some people, that temp is just to cold....brrrr :lol: and for some, warmer water doesn't affect them. The last time I went swimming, the water was too warm...almost body temp...yuck! I started swelling soon after I got out of the pool.

The other thing is washing and cleansing with antibacterial soap, and applying a moisturizing lotion (like Eucerin) as soon as your hubbie gets out of the pool. Chlorine is drying to the skin anyway, but not washing it off immediately will only further dry out the skin.

I do best to wrap right away after swimming. My compression garment does ok, but if I am tending to swell at all, wrapping gets it under control faster.

I hope this is helpful. Swimming is wonderful exercise, and to be able to do something out of compression is so freeing! :D

Good luck, :)
Kim
Kim

Postby ma1290 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:40 am

Kim I can sure relate to how you feel in warm water.

Ircuregirl, if he's going to be swimming a lot and still has this problem he might want to think about wearing some relatively cheap over the counter compression garments while in the pool. I get in the water 4 or 5 times a week and wear a jobst compression stocking each time. A lot of people say that the pressure of the water is enough to keep the swelling down, but I swell up even when I'm underwater and especially when I'm out of the pool if I'm not wearing a garment. The chlorine in the water can be rough on the garment but at least it keeps the swelling in check.

hope everything works out for ya
ma1290

Postby tsegadesta » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:53 am

Hello, I have a few questions regarding the farrow wrap.
Does the farrow wrap help in bringing swelling down?
Is it a night time garment or a day time garmernt that needs to be worn over your daytime stockings?
Has anyone from Washington state ordered it?
I have bilateral lymphedema in both legs and was thinking of getting it if useful.
Thank you!
tsegadesta

Postby patoco » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Well, hi ya stranger :!: :!: :D

Welcome back :!: :!: :!:

Everyone that has used the Farrow wrap has said good things about it. It's ease of use, that it does help control the swelling.

it is a daytime garment that replaces those short stretch bandages and you don't need to wear a sleeve over it or wear it to bed.

here's our page on it:

Farrow Wrap

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... arrow_wrap

Farrow Medical innovations

http://farrowmedical.com/

Give them a call and talk to them about it.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby tsegadesta » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi Pat, hope you are doing okay. I remember you in my prayers now and then :0
Thanks for the info!
tsegadesta

Return to Leg Lymphedema