Frequent falls

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Frequent falls

Postby gary1955 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 am

I have recently encountererd problems maintaining my balance and have taken a couple of falls. I have noticed my legs are getting weaker and it is getting much harder to walk small distances. Is this common with LE? I'm pretty sure I have arthritis in my legs so I'm sure this is contributing to the problem as is my weight.
gary1955

falling

Postby suzeeq » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi Gary, sorry about your falls. It did remind me of a period 3 years ago when I kept falling. My LE symptoms first started in 2002, but I wasn't actually diagnosed until 2004. I was a normal weight and used to walking at least 2 miles a day, but I fell 4 times in a 6 day period. Then an additional 2 times a few months later. I talked myself into believing that there were logical reasons for the falls, which was true in a way. The first 3 times were in the same day while I was hiking down a mountain. It was a rocky path and I told myself that I had old tennis shoes on and the soles were worn out causing me to slip on the rocks. The fourth time, I fell over my dishwasher! That was just stupid and I can't blame LE for that. but it sent me to the doctor with mild whiplash. Ridiculous I know. The fifth time, I missed stepping up on my deck, causing a gash in my leg. thankfully not my affected leg. And the last time, I was at an October fest, was walking downhill on pavement, slipped and fell. I was so embarrassed because I know everyone thought that I had had too much to drink, but I only had one glass of wine. But looking back on 5 of these incidents, I believe that LE was a factor, due to balance being off, especially since the LE is only in one leg. I still walk daily and don't have your arthritic or weight problems. If you are unable to walk, maybe a stationary bike might be of benefit to you, to increase your muscle tone in your legs. I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell. Take care. Susan
suzeeq

Return to Leg Lymphedema