Running

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Running

Postby ma1290 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:58 pm

How does running affect leg lymphedema? I have heard that walking is good for leg LE, because the calf muscles work as a pump to move fluid. Does running do the same, or is the high impact of running bad for the lymphatics?
ma1290

Postby patoco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:00 pm

Walking is good for LE - used to love to take long long walks.

My concern about running is the impact factor and what effect it would have on the lymphatics.

Just my personal opinion, but I would say it probably should be avoided.

BTW, many lymphers do Nordic Walking and it doesn't seem to cause problems.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:05 am

This is bad news to me. I really enjoy running and don't really want to stop.

I've done a lot of high impact sports. I was a gymnast for 11 years and then stopped that to take up diving. I'm also a pole vaulter for my high school. I plan on diving in college.

I don't want to damage my leg any more than it already is, but I want to enjoy the things I like to do. Running has been part of my daily life for so long that I don't see myself stopping anytime soon, unless the swelling really progresses.

How does high impact stuff damage lymphatics?
ma1290

Postby lazyleftleg » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:46 pm

i don't know medically why it's bad for the lymphatic system, but i was specifically told to avoid running. i have LE in my left leg. i was advised to do low impact...walking, elliptical, and swimming (the best). i bet pat can enlighten us more as to why or at least shoot us another link.
thanks for all the great info you provide us with pat!!
lazyleftleg

Return to Leg Lymphedema